There’s something undeniably comforting about biting into a soft, flavorful blondie, isn’t there? That delectable combination of sweetness and warmth is hard to resist. However, traditional blondies can often tip the scales in terms of sugar and empty calories. But what if I told you there’s a way to savor that same delightful taste while also boosting your protein intake and keeping it on the healthier side? Enter the High-Protein Apple Blondies.
What Makes These Blondies So Great?
These High-Protein Apple Blondies are a delicious divergence from the usual suspects in the dessert world. They boast a blend of wholesome ingredients that not only make them a guilt-free indulgence but also an excellent source of protein. Almond flour and vanilla protein powder form the base, providing a rich, nutty flavor while contributing to the protein punch in each square.
The Apple Factor
1. Granny Smith Apples
Why They’re Great: Known for their crisp texture and tangy, slightly tart flavor, Granny Smith apples hold up well in baking. Their firmness ensures they retain their shape and provide a pleasant contrast to the soft blondie texture. The tartness adds a refreshing zing to the sweetness of the blondies, creating a harmonious balance of flavors.
2. Honeycrisp Apples
Why They’re Great: Honeycrisp apples are beloved for their juiciness and sweetness with a hint of tartness. These apples bring a delightful natural sweetness to the blondies, enhancing their flavor profile. Their firmness holds up during baking, and the juiciness infuses the blondies with moisture, resulting in a delectable texture.
3. Fuji Apples
Why They’re Great: Fuji apples offer a perfect balance between sweetness and subtle tartness. They’re known for their firmness and crisp texture, making them an excellent choice for baking. These apples bring a natural sweetness that complements the other ingredients in the blondies while holding their shape beautifully during baking.
Choosing Your Apple
Ultimately, the best apple for your High-Protein Apple Blondies depends on personal preference. Whether you prefer a more tart bite or a sweeter taste, all three of these apple varieties contribute their unique flavors and textures to elevate the blondies.
Experimenting with different apple varieties can add an exciting twist to this recipe, allowing you to tailor the flavor to your liking. So, don’t hesitate to try different types of apples to discover your perfect blend of sweetness and tartness in these delicious blondies!
Tips for Perfect High-Protein Apple Blondies
- Apple Preparation: When dicing the apples, aim for smaller, uniform pieces. This ensures an even distribution throughout the blondie batter and a consistent texture in the final bake.
- Protein Powder Choice: Choose a high-quality vanilla protein powder that complements the flavors in the recipe. Look for powders with natural sweeteners and minimal additives for the best taste.
- Balancing Moisture: The combination of applesauce, coconut oil, and honey or maple syrup lends moisture to these blondies. Be mindful not to overmix the batter to maintain a tender crumb texture.
- Baking Time: Keep an eye on the blondies as they bake. They’re ready when the edges turn a beautiful golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Overbaking can result in dry blondies.
Why You’ll Love These Blondies
- Protein Boost: Each square packs a protein punch, making it a great post-workout snack or a guilt-free dessert option.
- Healthier Ingredients: Almond flour and coconut flour replace traditional all-purpose flour, offering more nutrients and a lower glycemic index.
- Versatile Snacking: Enjoy these blondies as a standalone treat or pair them with a dollop of Greek yogurt or a drizzle of nut butter for added decadence.
Indulging in a treat should NEVER come with a side of guilt. With these High-Protein Apple Blondies, you can relish the flavors of a classic blondie while nourishing your body with wholesome ingredients. Plus, they make for an excellent make-ahead snack or dessert that you can enjoy throughout the week.
So, why not whip up a batch of these delightful blondies and savor the perfect blend of sweetness and nutrition?
Apple Protein Blondies
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 med apple peeled, cored, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts optional
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease or line an 8x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine almond flour, vanilla protein powder, oat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir until well combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together the applesauce, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing until a batter forms. Fold in the diced apple and chopped nuts, if using.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, spreading it evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the blondies to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Serve and enjoy these delicious high-protein apple blondies!